Sunday, August 5, 2012

Pulled "Pork" Vegan Style

Since my husband is cooking pulled pork (the actual pig related stuff) for our trip to Queen Acres I decided to try to make a vegan style of this fine fine dish! I ran across several recipes which all called for Jackfruit. I mainly worked with this one: http://eatingappalachia.com/2012/05/24/vegan-pulled-pork-with-rhubarb-bbq-sauce/#.

In the end I combined several of them to create my own concept before I proceeded to run with it.

I should let you know that it was really really hard to find the jackfruit. There were cans of jackfruit in syrup at the Berkeley Bowl in the "ethnic" section. There were no cans in brine. Since pulled "pork" is savory, syrup will simply not do! I was almost going to just go to an Asian market. I'd gotten everything else I needed and really did not want to make another trip somewhere else. Several clerks looked at Mike like he was crazy when he asked them if there was any jackfruit anywhere. We finally did ask the help desk, which was unmarked as a help desk,  and they said it was in cut melon section. Since I had never seen a whole jackfruit before, it took my smart phone to help me look at picture to indeed confirm that this thing labeled "winter melon" was  actually a Jackfruit after all. I didn't even know that it was a melon. I had creeped this guy out for, like, an hour while staring and stalking the unusual fruit section of Berkeley Bowl that he was camped out in for his own unknown reasons. Who hangs out in a fruit section for an hour anyway? Creepy.....
Just sayin'

Now, the Jackfruit is a thing that seems like it came from a William Burroughs novel. In fact, pulling all the yellow fruits from the center of the melon has the texture and feel of what I imagine it would be like to disembowel a creature from Naked Lunch but without the imagined horrifying smells or possible unearthly screams.

I showed you this already. But here it is again:




I chose fresh Jackfruit because I could not find the item in brine. As a result, I had to brine it myself. I threw a bunch of vinegar on top with a little salt and some water to cover the whole mess. I let it soak overnight so it will be a little salty and acidic instead of just smelling vaguely like a lab created banana.

In the morning I drained the brine and coated it with a dry rub. For dry rubs you could use any combination of things like paprika, crushed pepper, cayenne, cumin, onion flakes, garlic powder, and salt.  Since all of these were already mixed in the Chili 9000 stuff my mother-in-law got me, I used that.  I let the coated thing-a-ma-jigs sit for a few hours in the fridge while I started in on the Rhubarb BBQ sauce. I also chopped some onions, some red bell peppers, and some garlic to keep the jackfruit company.



I pulled from this recipe: http://eatingappalachia.com/2012/05/24/vegan-pulled-pork-with-rhubarb-bbq-sauce/#

But, of course,  I used my own awesome style because I am so awesome!

First off, I don't really understand what constitutes "a bunch" of rhubarb. Berkeley Bowl sells them in individual stalks. I was doubling the recipe. So I used three of the four stalks I had bought.
Another thing different I did was to add half the Adobo chili can's sauce into the mix. It's an awesome sauce! I don't want to throw it out.

I used white onions instead of red ones and I threw in the entire small can of tomato paste since whatever was left would have gone bad anyway. I finished off with a tablespoon-ish of tamarind concentrate.  Then I boiled the hell out of it for about an hour and a half.



I tried to throw all of this into the Cuisine-art to mix it, despite it far exceeding the indicated limit for fluids. As you may have predicted, this did not work and I had to clean some sauce off the floor, which was sad.

Maybe because I threw in the extra adobo sauce, I don't know, but it was very very spicy! Not that I mind. But I have a higher spice threshold than others do, so think about that when you make yours.

I took most, but not all, of this sauce and I added the jackfruit mix that was marinating in the fridge. I threw a little water on top because I wanted it all covered with liquids and I set aside a cup of the BBQ sauce in case I wanted some for something later. It was so tasty, it was! As for the stuff in the pot,  I slow cooked the hell out of this mix for six or so hours. Here is it just starting out:



Wikipedia said that the roasted seeds of the jackfruit is a delicacy, so Mike decided to try it. Finding no real recipes for it, he treated them just like you would regular pumpkin seeds. That is to say, fry them in oil and salt and when they pop they are done.

One thing that is particularly weird about these seeds is that they taste almost exactly like carnitas. Or, rather, like carnitas if carnitas were not that good and had a chalky texture. It is true that they do become more tasty the more regularly you shell them and then pop them in your mouth.  I don't know if they will end up being the next Acai berry. Please don't invest in roasted jackfruit seed stock just yet. It's so untested. I mean, first we have to unlock the secret as to why they taste like carnitas at all.

When it was done I shredded up the remaining solids. Some say that you should roast those shreds to make a pork-ish like product. However, my end result was so tender that it was more like a sloppy joe than pork and there was really no way to dry that out in the oven. I *did* evaporate a fair amount of liquids by cooking on medium without a lid for a few hours.

Last step-   chill that goddamn shit and then reheat it and then put that fucker on a bun with some vinegar based cole slaw and some god damn jalapeno pickled carrots!

 See if you can get *that* at your local Chick-fil-a, motherfucker!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, super creative! Sounds awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If I do it again, i will use that canned version since it seems to have a better texture for this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete